Youth Cast, Ages 9-15
Book by Douglas Carter Beane
Music & Lyrics by Jeff Lynne & John Farrar
Based on the Universal Pictures film
Screenplay by Richard Danus & Marc Rubel
June 27, 28 & 29
Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday
Location: St. Luke's Episcopal Church
1349 West 78th St. Cleveland, OH 44102
ABOUT THE AUDITION:
- This is a group audition. Come ONE of these evenings.
- Plan to stay for the entire time specified.
- Arrive 15 minutes early to register.
- Anyone arriving after the starting time will not audition that day.
The show runs September 22-October 1, 2017
(see list of roles below)
ABOUT THE SHOW:
YOU HAVE TO BELIEVE *YOU* ARE MAGIC
Slap on your roller skates, hike up your leg warmers, and prepare for the glitter explosion of Xanadu, the laugh-out-loud musical stage adaptation of the 1980 film
Jelly shoes, acid wash jeans, and roller disco dancing! Outrageous ‘80s flair sparkles under the mirror ball in Xanadu, a laugh-out-loud musical based on the cult-classic film starring Olivia Newton-John and Gene Kelly. Greek muse Kira descends from Mount Olympus to Venice Beach, California to inspire Sonny, a struggling artist, to achieve the greatest artistic creation of all time: the first ROLLER DISCO! But when Kira falls into forbidden love with the mortal Sonny, two of her jealous sisters take advantage of the situation, and chaos abounds.
Xanadu has something for everyone: ridiculous fun on wheels, and an inspirational story at its big, mythological heart reminding us to explore our human experience through art and to persist in following our dreams... despite perceived limitations from others or from within ourselves.
So pop open a Tab, lay back in your stretchy stirrup pants, and watch as your ‘80s radio mixtape magically rolls to life on stage! Nominated for two Tony awards including Best Musical and Best Book, Xanadu’s legendary, chart-topping score regales with memorable tunes such as Magic, Evil Woman, Have You Ever Been Mellow, and Strange Magic.
Near West Theatre holds group auditions in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. No preparation or preregistration is required. Actors of all experience levels are led through multiple improvisational exercises providing every participant equal opportunity to create through word, movement and song. Auditions focus on the creative process, not the product; on working as an ensemble, not solo. After this first level audition, callbacks will focus on individual roles/songs and working from the script.
ABOUT THE AUDITION
- No experience or preregistration necessary. No prepared material needed.
- A relaxed, playful and friendly atmosphere.
- Wear comfortable clothing & shoes for dancing so you can move easily.
- Group audition process. Actors are led through multiple improvisational exercises including acting, movement and singing.
- All individuals should arrive 15 minutes early to register.
- Auditions begin promptly at the designated time. Anyone arriving after the starting time will be asked to audition at the next scheduled time.
For more information, call the Near West Theatre office at 216-961-9750.